At a special ceremony held at The Sculpture Gallery in Woburn Bedfordshire, by kind permission of The Duke and Duchess of Bedford, HM Lord-Lieutenant of Bedfordshire, Helen Nellis, brought together the Bedfordshire recipients who received their Honour in the 2018 New Year’s Honours List, British Empire Medals and Certificates of Meritorious Service to celebrate their success, and to learn about the work behind their achievement.
Dignitaries present on the day included the High Sheriff of Bedfordshire, Vinod Tailor DL, the Speaker of Bedford Borough Council, the Chairman of Central Bedfordshire Council, Town Council Mayors/representatives of Leighton-Linslade, Stotfold, Dunstable, Potton, Sandy & Flitwick, Chief Fire Officer Paul Fuller CBE QFSM DL and the President of St John’s Ambulance Anthony Duggan OBE.
The recipients were joined by family members and friends and heard details about the achievements of each person read by the Lord-Lieutenant’s Cadets.
The recipients honoured were:
– Ms Naomi Marek OBE (Chief Executive, Sky Badger; for services to Special Educational Needs)
– Ms Julia TEMPLEMAN OBE (Chief Executive Officer, Northampton Primary Academy Trust Partnership; for services to Education)
– Mrs Hilary CANTLE MBE (for services to the Older People and to charity in Bedfordshire and Hertfordshire)
– Miss Julia Emma FARMAN MBE (Head, European Intake Unit, UK Visas and Immigration, Home Office; for public service)
– Mr Paul Hugh Paterson FERGUSON MBE (for services to Carving, Gilding and Conservation)
– Mrs Deborah Sylvia GARDINER MBE (Chief Executive Officer, Qube Learning; for services to Apprenticeships and charity)
– Mrs Elizabeth Ann LOVESEY MBE (for services to Education and the community in Great Barford, Bedfordshire)
– Mrs Emma Louise SMITH MBE (Head of Operations, National Crime Agency; for services to Tackling Economic Crime)
– Professor William STEPHENS MBE (University Secretary and Head, Executive Office, Cranfield University; for services to Higher Education)
– Mr David THOMAS MBE (for services to Social Work Education and People with Disabilities)
HM Lord-Lieutenant of Bedfordshire Helen Nellis and Vice Lord-Lieutenant Colonel Colin Mason OBE with Bedfordshire Honours Recipients
The Lord-Lieutenant of Bedfordshire then presented three British Empire Medals awarded at the New Year Honours Honours 2018 on behalf of HM The Queen.
The medallists honoured were:
– Mrs Alison Sara BRADBURY BEM (for services to the community in Clophill, Bedfordshire)
– Mr Andrew Neil MARSHALLSAY BEM (Fire Service Trainer, Hertfordshire Fire and Rescue Service; for voluntary service to the Fire Cadets Unit and the Fire Service Youth Training Association)
– Mrs Melanie Jane Petrina PARKER BEM (for services to Girlguiding and the Royal British Legion)
Photo Caption: HM Lord-Lieutenant of Bedfordshire Helen Nellis and Vice Lord-Lieutenant Colonel Colin Mason OBE with Alison Bradbury BEM, Melanie Parker BEM and Andrew Marshallsay BEM
The Lord-Lieutenant also presented five Lord-Lieutenant Certificates for Meritorious Service for exceptional service by non-commissioned members of the Reserve Forces, Adult Instructors of the Cadet Forces, & Civilians employed with units or holding recognised unpaid posts.
They were joined by recipients and family members to hear details about the achievements of each person, read by Unit Officers: Wing Commander Anthony Kelly – Air Training Corps, Mrs Sarah Davies – Deputy Head Bedford Modern School, Major Katie McLeman – Army Air Corps and Lt Commander Ruth Bell MBE DL RNR – Sea Cadets.
The recipients honoured were;
Major Sean Smith RMR – Bedfordshire District Sea Cadets
Lt Cdr Mark Steggall RNR – Bedfordshire District Sea Cadets
HM Lord-Lieutenant of Bedfordshire Helen Nellis and Vice Lord-Lieutenant Colonel Colin Mason OBE with Ruth Bell MBE DL RNR, Lt Cdr Mark Steggall RNR and Major Sean Smith
Corporal Kelly Smith – 678 Squadron Army Air Corps
HM Lord-Lieutenant of Bedfordshire Helen Nellis and Vice Lord-Lieutenant Colonel Colin Mason OBE with Major Katie McLeman and Corporal Kelly Smith
Major Alexander Smith – Bedford Modern School, Combined Cadet Force
HM Lord-Lieutenant of Bedfordshire Helen Nellis and Vice Lord-Lieutenant Colonel Colin Mason OBE with Major Alexander Smith
Civilian Instructor Jeffrey Henshaw – 22 (Sandy) Squadron, Air Training Corps HM Lord-Lieutenant of Bedfordshire Helen Nellis and Vice Lord-Lieutenant Colonel Colin Mason OBE with Wing Commander Anthony Kelly and Jeffrey Henshaw
HM Lord-Lieutenant of Bedfordshire, Helen Nellis, said after the ceremony “It has been such a delight to meet with the wonderful people of Bedfordshire who have received awards this year. The range of contributions that have been undertaken demonstrate what can be achieved when people are prepared to go the extra mile. Each individual represents the very best of great citizenship and each has played a major part in building strong communities here in Bedfordshire and nationally.”
Photo Credits: June Essex – Photography